Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

Test Installation / Admin Path / Testing Path (Questions!)

Quote Reply
Test Installation / Admin Path / Testing Path (Questions!)
Hello GT Staff and Forum ...

I have an unused Gossamer Links licence (bought in 2001), which I would now like to use in the following way ...

a) Demo site on demo.mydomain.org, to be moved to clientdomain.org if the client likes it.
b) Invisible (exept to me) test/mirror installation on my own Windows XP machine.

Under the previous LSQL 2.2.1, that would have been straightforward and within the terms of the licence.
Q1. Has anything changed? How do the new "admin" and "testing" path requirements affect me?

Now here is something that we want to do that might be a bit different ...

c) For security/privacy reasons, we would like the admin directory to be on a different domain than the public links directory. As required by the licence, this would be one installation on one server, using one database for one links directory on one domain. Example: public directory is clientdomain.org/links but admin would be something like private.clientdomain.org or (preferably) private.mydomain.org (so the admin path and URL would be constant, and independent of the public links URL). We want to ensure that the URL of the admin area is un-guessable. On the filesystem, it would be more-or-less in the expected place of course, but mapped to a different subdomain for the server. We know this could easily be achieved under LSQL 2.2.1, and presumably could be done under GL3 as well. What we are not sure about is whether it would conflict with changes in the licence (if there have been any), and whether it would conflict with the "admin" and "testing" paths (which we do not fully understand because we have not yet even unpacked GL3).
Q2. Is GT happy with this idea?
Q3. What are the implications of the new "admin" and "testing" path requirements for implementing it?

I have tried to illustrate what we mean below ... it's a filesystem fragment showing how we would like to install GL3 (just once), then retain the original URL for admin, but subsequently map to different URLs for the public if the demo is accepted ...

Code:
public_html
|
+--
cgi-bin
| |
| +--
gl3-admin
(permanently mapped to private.mydomain.org/cgi-bin)
| |
| +-- gl3-cgi (public, contains search.cgi, etc; can be mapped first to private.mydomain.org, then to clientdomain.org/cgi-bin)
|
+-- links (public directory; can be mapped first to private.mydomain.org/links, then to clientdomain.org/links)
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] Test Installation / Admin Path / Testing Path (Questions!) In reply to
Quote:
Q1. Has anything changed? How do the new "admin" and "testing" path requirements affect me?
Quote:
Q2. Is GT happy with this idea?
The 'admin' and 'testing' paths are only used for access to the Gossamer Update system. In your case, you should have no problems. The single domain clause is really for the front-end of things (prevent people from installing multiple copies using the same license), so putting your frontend and admin sides on different domains is okay.

Quote:
Q3. What are the implications of the new "admin" and "testing" path requirements for implementing it?
Not sure what you mean. Just set up your paths however you wish, and if you wish to reset the admin path, you can do it from the download page.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Test Installation / Admin Path / Testing Path (Questions!) In reply to
Thanks -- all uncertainties now resolved.