Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Attn: Bobsie

Quote Reply
Attn: Bobsie
Hi,

I am trying to use the info from the FAQ - "Using a CRON Event to Automatically Rebuild Pages"
I tried on three different links installs on two different servers but it appears I can only use the cron method or the build from the admin panel. The ownership of the files is changing depending on which method I use. If I set the file permissions via ftp the admin method works fine but not the cron event. If I set the permissions via telnet the cron event works fine but the admin method gives a permission error when trying to rebuild the pages. Then, if I telnet in and change the ownership the admin method works fine.

Is there a way to deal with this?

I hope I was clear enough and didn't ramble on too long!!!

Thanks,

Tim

Quote Reply
Re: Attn: Bobsie In reply to
1) Delete all your files and directories in the non-cgi directory (like links/pages)

2) Then rebuild your directory via telnet using the following command lines:

a) connect to location where nph-build.cgi file is located:

Code:
cd cgi-bin/links/admin

b) execute the nph-build.cgi file:

Code:
perl nph-build.cgi

This will maintain ownership of the files to the system account (not NOBODY, which is the default user for files created via build processes in cgi scripts via the web browser).

3) Then set-up your crontab.

Hope this helps....

BTW: Bobsie? Whose that? Smile HE has not been around this Forum since late September 1999.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com
Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot!

When I do that, crontab works fine but I receive an error when trying to build from the browser.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
Quote Reply
No..No..

You cannot build from the browser again. To maintain permissions of the files to your account user...You now have to continue to build via telnet or crontab, which are both faster than building via the web browser.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 19, 2000).]
Quote Reply
That's what I thought but I just wanted to check to be sure.

Thank you very much for your time!

Tim
Quote Reply
Hi!

Just thought I should mention I had the same problem. My solution was to change Links so that file permissions are set correct during each rebuild. In that way it doesn't matter in what way you choose to build later.

Unfortunately, I've not got access to my Links files right now. But it involved changing nph_build (I think). Using the command chmod to set correct file permissions.

Hugs
Nina
Quote Reply
Just some more input on how I solved this.

I was right when I mentioned changing nph-build.cgi. Look for all places where files are opened and written to.

Looks like
open (URL, ">$db_url_name")...

Note: You only need to chmode those places where a file is opened to be written to. You see this from the ">" sign.

A line looking like
open (URL, "<$db_url_name")...
does NOT open a file to be written to.

So look up all places where a file is opened to be written to and after the line where the file is closed, looks like
close URL;
you insert someting like
chmod (0666, "$db_url_name");

This should do the trick. Remember to backup your nph-build.cgi before you start changing. Just in case...

Good luck! Let me know if this helps you!

Hugs
Nina

[This message has been edited by oktrg500 (edited January 20, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Good solution...However, remember that these codes do not work on NT, since NT does not recognize chmod codes.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for the help! I'll give it a try.

Take care,

Tim